Shay James, an asbestos surveyor and director of Amencon Limited, was commissioned by Bovis Homes to carry out a survey at industrial premises in Leicester. However, he failed to recognise over 1250 square metres of insulation board containing brown asbestos, and some lagging material too. This was partly caused by his failure to provide sufficient lighting, and inadequate access equipment.
The botched survey report resulted in a contractor demolishing part of the premises without taking appropriate precautions. James, who admitted that he had quoted for 100 samples but only taken 60, was fined £5,000 with £2,348 costs and his company has since ceased trading.