Council prosecuted after swimming pool incident

Castle Point Borough Council has been fined £18,000 with £7,500 costs after a child’s hair became trapped in a water outlet at a swimming pool. The seven-year-old was underwater for over two minutes and was unconscious when taken out of the pool although she did recover later.

It transpired that one of the two lifeguards on duty was carrying out a cleaning task and the other could not see the whole pool due to glare. In addition, the Council hadn’t ensured that the outlet had a second vent, which would have reduced the suction pressure when the girl’s hair was being drawn in.

Comments are closed.