Professor Löfstedt was asked to continue the work originally started by Lord Young, who was given a brief of introducing more common sense approach to health and safety.
Löfstedt, himself a Professor of Risk Management, came up with 26 recommendations. The Government has undertaken to implement these within a given timetable and the more significant proposals are shown below:
By summer 2012:
- Simplify the guidance for small businesses, and make this consistent from all sources.
- Cease visiting compliant low risk businesses.
- Exempt low-risk self-employed people from health and safety law.
- Revoke regulations deemed as unnecessary.
- Further simplify the accident reporting regime
- Influence EU legislation so it is risk and evidence based.
- Consolidate regulations by industry sector, halving the total number.