Grantham Magistrates’ Court ordered PAS (Grantham) Ltd, a company that manufactures frozen potato products, to pay £17,000 in fines and costs after the firm’s health and safety manager was injured. Mr Hopwood was burned by hot oil on his neck, shoulder, back and arms during the jet washing of an oil storage tank.
He had climbed between the guard rails to check on the work, and dislodged a gauge which cause the oil to escape. The company admitted failing to carry out a risk assessment for the operation and explained that they had decided to do the work and then write an assessment retrospectively. As an HSE spokesperson observed: “To carry out the work first and then write the assessment afterwards is foolhardy to say the least.” The injured worker has now recovered and has left the firm.