Dartford Magistrates’ Court fined Kenard Engineering Company Ltd £10,000 with around £2,000 costs after a 17-year-old apprentice was thrown three metres when struck by a bolt of electricity. Along with another engineer, the injured worker was relocating a pillar-mounted crane and was in the process of reconnecting the three-phase electrical supply. All the cables had white insulation and an incorrect guess had been made as to which needed wiring to the earth connection.
The company admitted failing to ensure their systems of work were safe by allowing someone without the proper competence and experience to wire up the crane. The charge was made under Regulation 4(1) of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.