Child burned in swimming pool

Chelmsford Crown Court has ordered Leisure Connection Limited to pay nearly £66,000 in fines and costs after a two and a half year-old boy suffered severe burns in the changing area of a leisure centre they were operating. The incident happened at the Great Dunmow Leisure Centre in Essex when the child slipped and fell onto a drain cover. The cover was contaminated with a cleaning material containing sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) which burnt through the toddler’s clothing and left him with third degree, full skin thickness alkaline burns to his buttocks and the back of his right thigh.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that the company had failed to put a robust system of work in place for cleaning this type of drain, and local management admitted they had been unaware of the presence of the chemical on site.

Comments are closed.