Housing Association prosecuted for unsafe gas work

Westminster Magistrates’ Court fined Shepherd’s Bush Housing Association £2,500 with £1,000 costs for sending a handyman to cut off a protruding gas pipe in a tenanted property.

The property was in Fulham, south-west London, and was occupied by a mother with young children. It was wrongly thought the pipe, which was trip hazard, was not connected to the gas main. The tenant had a prepayment meter, and when she next paid for gas it spewed into the premises. Nobody was injured but the case was prosecuted because the Housing Association, who admitted guilt, were legally obliged to have used a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Comments are closed.